GREAT SKELLINGTHORPE SELL-OFF - Following the recent article about the time that Christ Hospital sold off by Auction all their properties in the Parish, some of the lots offered make interesting reading 83 years later. Lot No 1 is described as follows:

Lot No 1
Jerusalem Farm A VALUABLE MIXED FARM - 168 Acres, 0 Roods, 31 Perch.
Situated at Jerusalem, in the Parish of Skellingthorpe, and about one mile from the village.

THE HOMESTEAD comprises:- Brick and slated Farmhouse with Four Bedrooms, Two Kitchens, Sitting Room, Dairy, and Lean-to Coal Cellar. Pump Water.

THE BUILDINGS are chiefly built of Brick, with slated roofs and include:- Store Shed, Stable for eight horses, Cut House, Iwo Boxes, Cart Hovel with Granary over, Barn, Crew Yard with Sheds, Pig Yard with Shed, and another Crew Yard with Sheds and a Box, Wagon Hovel and a Fowl House. Let with other lands on a Yearly (Lady-day) Tenancy to Miss E.L. Atkinson and Mr. R.A. Holmes and the apportioned rent will be 79 pounds annually.

Also included in the Lot: BRICK KILN HOLT WOOD 10 Acres, 1 Rood, 9 Perch possessing many thriving Young Oaks and other Valuable Trees. The Sporting Rights over the Brick Kiln Holt are let on a Yearly Tenancy to Mr. J.E. Jarvis at a Rental of 5 pounds per annum.

Lot No. 2 of the 1914 sale is described as follows:

Lot No 2
An Attractive Country Residence known as the MANOR HOUSE with 32 Acres, 1 Rood, 1 Perch
Situated in the Parish of Skellingthorpe and about five minutes walk of the Railway Station.

THE HOUSE which is built of brick with a slated roof, is approached by Two Carriage Drives and contains:

ON THE GROUND FLOOR - Tiled Entrance Hall, Smoking Room, Drawing Room, leading to Conservatory, Dining Room, and a small Sitting Room. The Domestic Offices include front Kitchen, back ditto, Pantry, Dairy, Larder, Boot House, Coal Hole and a Small Outhouse; good Cellars.

ON THE FIRST FLOOR - Seven Bedrooms, Dressing Room, Bath Room (hot and cold). Approached by a separate staircase are Four Servants' Bedrooms and a Box Room.

DETACHED BRICK AND SLATED STABLING Comprising Three Stalls, Saddle Room, Two Stalls and a Small Granary over; Two Brick and Slated Loose Boxes and Two Ditto Coach Houses.

THE GARDENS Are Quite a Feature of the Property, being tastefully arranged. Croquet or Tennis Lawn. There is also a Park-like Meadow of about 27 acres, 3 roods, 28 perches at present let with other lands on a Yearly (Lady-day) Tenancy to Mr. E.H. Neville and the apportioned rent will be 75 per annum. Included in this Lot is the Kitchen Garden adjoining the Village School and forming part of Field No 239 on Plan, part of which is at present let on a Quarterly Tenancy to Mr.Brooks at 1 shilling per annum.

Ron Hallam successfully took the photograph from the 1914 sale brochure and this is reproduced above. At first glance, the photograph on the right taken by Ron last year, shows very little difference over the years until one spots a television aerial on the right-hand chimney!