THE STONE ARMS

There seems little doubt about it but the posh new sign on the wall of the village pub has created much comment. The landlord Terry Goldsmith is adamant that it is correct but others say that it should be "The Stones Arms" or perhaps "The Stone's Arms". The term Stones Arms seems to flow easier and the establishment is nearly always referred to as "The Stones".

Entering into the spirit of the discussion, our correspondent referred back to the sale of the Christ Hospital properties which took place back in 1914 and the catalogue details of the buildings coming under the hammer. The pub in 1914 was part of the Charity's holdings and is described in the sale catalogue as follows:-

Lot 14 - The Stone Arms Inn is a FREE HOUSE with a full 6 day licence and situated in the VILLAGE OF SKELLINGTHORPE and the junction of the Lincoln Ferry and Saxilby Roads, and about 4 miles from Lincoln, and being within an easy walk of Lincoln, there is an exceptional catering trade on Sundays.

It is of brick and slated roof and contains:- ON THE GROUND FLOOR - Large Tea Room, Bar Parlour with small sitting room adjoining, Tap Room and Kitchen (combined), Larder and Cellars. ON THE FIRST FLOOR - Private Sitting Room, Four Bedrooms and a Box Room. THE OUTBUILDINGS comprise Brick and Tiled Brew House, Dairy, Wash House, Stable for three horses, Coal Cellar, Loose Box, Wood and Tiled Shed, small Crew Yard with Shed, Brick and Tiled Wood Shed and Meal House (combined), Fowl House, Cart-horse Stable for six and a Cart Shed (combined), Lean-to Brick and Tiled Store Shed, Capital Orchard and Large Garden.
At present let to The People's Refreshment House Association Ltd., with other Land on a yearly (Lady-day) Tenancy and the apportioned rent will be Per 24. 12s per annum

So, hats off to the Landlord who as one would expect is correct in confirming that the name of his establishment is The Stone Arms and long may it remain so.